Friday, November 27, 2015

An Amish Wedding


Daddy, Mommy, Joshua, and I were invited to our Amish neighbor Mary Ellen's wedding. Amish weddings last all day from 8 in the morning until midnight. It was the first Amish wedding Joshua and I went to but the second for Daddy and Mommy. Daddy snuck pictures with his phone.


 Upon arrival the horses are unhitched from the buggies and parked under a tent.
A  new barn was built for the occasion to sit 400.  They had nails along the railings for the men to hang their hats.


They had cute little signs around.


This is called the "Eck room".  Family and close friends bring a dish/container with special food in it.  Such as cakes, lunch meats, cheese, nuts, candies, etc.  The dishes are displayed throughout the day for everyone to snack on and then the bride gets to keep the dish/basket or whatever the food came in as part of her wedding gift.





 They have lunch and supper! This is the room where they prepare all the food.  The stoves are rented and several church wagons are used to supply enough dishes for the event.
 This was the only "English" table. 


All the youth went and played volleyball until dark across the street in a relatives yard.
The day after the wedding mommy stopped over to take some pictures to share with Kaitlyn since she was not able to come.
All the gifts were in the basement of the brides home.  After lunch the Bride and Groom opened the gifts while everyone sung!


L for Lester and M for Mary Ellen

Lester and Mary Ellen gave a dozen roses and this customized plaque to their parents.



We are looking forward to having the new couple as neighbors! 

4 comments:

  1. That was such an interesting post, Lillia. I'm glad your dad is a rule breaker and we got to see pictures of an Amish wedding. I loved the hats hanging on the railing. So many pots in the kitchen and the plates at the English table sure looked full. Grandmommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty neat! Wow lot of work! Bless their heart! I hope that the new couple will have a happy marriage! Thx for pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's neat to see how they do their weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm surprised how fancy the decorations, etc., were. :) Chris W.

    ReplyDelete