Joshua and Daddy by the Sea of Galilee before we left Tiberius for Jerusalem.
Friday morning the bus was nearly empty with only about 10 civilians when we left Tiberius. But by the time we arrived in Jerusalem over 50 teenage soldiers had gotten on! When we arrived in Jerusalem we went to the Yad Vashem, which is the new Holocaust Museum. Because the Jewish Sabbath, Shabbat, starts on Friday evening the museum was only open until 2 p.m. We were there for almost three hours and didn't even get through the whole thing! There is so much information and so many interviews with survivors that you could spend all day there listening to them recount the horrors they went through. No cameras are allowed inside the museum so I don't have any pictures to share of that experience. After the museum closed we took the tram to the market which was pure chaos! Everyone was trying to buy the things they needed for the next few days because almost all stores and the market is closed on Shabbat.
I wish we would have gotten a video of this guy selling bread! He was yelling at the top of his lungs in Hebrew and people were filling their bags as fast as they could! It was sure a sight!
It's a common sight to see soldiers walking through Jerusalem...
Joshua and Dad beside the walls of the old city near the Damascus Gate.
That evening we went down to the old city. It was very quiet on the walk there, no public transportation runs during Shabbat.
These little Jewish boys were so cute down at the Western Wall. They were with their daddy on the men's side and wanted their mommy so he sent them over the divider to the ladies section :) They looked so cute peaking over the wall and then climbing over!
We noticed this golden menorah near the Western Wall. A plaque beside it states this;
"The creation of this golden menorah was based on comprehensive research according to the writings of Maimonides and the great sagest of Israel. The menorah is overlaid with one complete kikar of pure gold and is fit to be kindled in the Holy Temple. At the time it is brought to its proper place within the Sanctuary, it shall be sanctified for the Divine service of the Holy Temple. May it be rebuilt speedily and in our days."
Sorry for the delay between postings! I hope I'm not boring you with all the pictures and commentary! Thanks for your patience! God bless...
~Kaitlyn
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Boring me???? Never!!! Sure are enjoying your posts about your trip to Israel! I'm getting an education plus a trip to Israel, where I'll probably never get to in this life! Thank you!! Aunt Carol
ReplyDeleteYour not boring me....your making me search my memory to remember if I saw that while i was there. I know what you mean about the market place right before Shabbot....so exciting!!! :)~Rosie
ReplyDeletetotally NOT boring....your bests posts yet! kate.....make posts with ALL the pics you have!
ReplyDelete